FOLLOW This Blog!

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Pinecones and Pine Needles

Our family had a little glitch in our... momentum.  I have been at the house on the coast with my Mister and our two youngest sons. All my crafting supplies are at Studio 33 in the forest, but I really needed to stay busy and productive. (Because cleaning up after three grown men just doesn't keep me busy enough. Lol)

I really need to be working on my next book but I have had a serious case of writer's block lately, so I was perusing Pinterest one evening about 4 weeks ago, and came across some beautiful pine needle baskets. After many clicks of my mouse, I inadvertently ended up on a site selling basket supplies. I was overcome with joy when I seen that pine needles are a sellable commodity. I am surrounded by some of the most amazing Longleaf Pines, so long story short, I went to collecting pine needles. I collected, photographed, and listed my pine needles on EBay and voila! The pine needles sold!

It didn't stop with the pine needles: I began to see Mother Nature in a completely new light. Her beauty is simply mesmerizing! My creative juices just went into overdrive! I have been harvesting, cleaning, decorating, and painting: pine needles, pinecones, twigs, sticks, seed pods, vines; the possibilities are limitless!


Some of the raw and natural elements I've rounded up so far. I made the wreaths myself and they are drying nicely. I haven't decided yet if I will paint them or leave them natural, but I like the way they turned out. I washed the vines in hot water with a few drops of Dawn Dish Soap, and I made the wreaths while the vines were still green and wet. 


*****


*****

I painted some of the pinecones metallic gold. I like these and will be trying a mirrored silver next!


*****


*******


*******


*******

These are my bleached pinecones, Mister really loves the way these turned out! So do I! And I love the way the poly-urethane treatment brings out the grains, and the brown places where the bleach didn't yet penetrate. Beautiful!
 *******







I will be bleaching more! I will be trying them with pure bleach for different periods of time, and then with diluted bleach for different periods of time. I can't wait to see the outcome, but if they turn out anything like these - I will be one happy gal!

*****

I also treated some natural colored pinecones with polyurethane. Just when I think I can't love these things any more, voila! Another stunning outcome!



Until next time!
May your blessings be many and your troubles be few!

(Don't forget to G+ and follow me!)



No comments:

Post a Comment